Melanie was recently interviewed on the history of pain by Dr. Phil Stieg for his podcast This Is Your Brain With Dr. Phil Stieg. Part one of her two-part interview is available now. Apple iTunes > Google Play > web player >
- Thursday, May 6, 2010: lecture on pain as part of the Gardiner Lecture Series of the Program for Humanities at the Yale University School of Medicine.
- Wednesday, September 8: Keynote Speaker at PAINweek in Las Vegas, NV. Her talk is available for streaming. (The keynote starts roughly 20 minutes in; you can fast-forward by clicking at the bottom of the video window, though only as far as the blue download indicator has progressed.) streaming video >
- Friday, September 10: The Pain Chronicles reading at Elliott Bay Book Company, Seattle, WA.
- Wednesday, September 15: The Pain Chronicles reading at Kepler's Books Menlo Park, CA
- Thursday, September 23: The Pain Chronicles reading at Book Passage San Francisco, CA
- Tuesday, November 9: The Pain Chronicles reading at KGB Bar New York City, NY, a reading and conversation with Dan Menaker
- Friday, November 12: Blaustein Pain Lecture Series, Grand Rounds, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Saturday, February 12, 2011: panel discussing reproductive technology at Stanford Medical School, following a performance of Taboos, a play by birth-control-pill pioneer Carl Djerassi
- Tuesday, February 22: talk at Oregon Health and Science University PAIN Day, Portland, OR
- Tuesday, March 8: a discussion on the topic of third-party reproduction with Prof. Ted Conover at the NYU Journalism Institute details >
- Thursday, April 7th: keynote speaker at the Oregon State University Gerontology Conference, Corvallis, OR
- Thursday, April 7th: Visiting Writer Lecture at Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR: “The Pain Chronicles: Pain, Narrative, and Culture”
- Saturday, April 9th: keynote speaker at Advances in Pain Management, University of Rochester
- Saturday, June 25th: talk at Pain Society of Oregon 2011 Annual Clinical Meeting, Eugene, OR Medical Center, Rochester, NY
- Thursday, November 15th, 2012: reading at Penn State University as part of the Mary E. Rolling Reading Series
- Saturday, April 13, 2013: award presentation at American Academy of Pain Medicine's Members' Business Meeting (Ft. Lauderdale, Florida): Presidential Commendation for "work on the Institute of Medicine Committee on Advancing Pain Research, Care and Education, and as author of The Pain Chronicles"